Friday, February 8, 2008

February 8, 2008 9:30 Class

Hey all,

Before I put the questions / comments up, let me clarify something.  Someone said that they don't know what I want in my assignments.  My response to that is..if you've read the assignment in the syllabus and pulled up the rubric (which is on blackboard) and still don't understand....ASK ME. I'm at the other end of the keyboard or in my office from 10 - 2:00 on most T and R.  I also answer my phone messages when I get them.  With all that said,   in my world, "I don't know what you want." is a cop out because you have tons of materials and all the opportunities you could possibly want to ask me.

Here are questions that were raised this morning.  Please respond and stimulate more discussion if you wish.

1) How can teachers become advocates for students outside of the classroom without over-stepping professional boundaries?  Where should they draw the line?

2) What can a middle school that has already adopted  'arrested development' do to fix the problem?  If you remember, this was the issue you were going to check out in line with your field placement analysis.  If your school does some, but not all of the MCE steps, why is that and how do they intend to fix it?

3) How much of the middle school philosophy is actually followed through?  How much is just for show.

4) What can we do to make students want to learn?  Some don't like learning and they don't like school.  How can we fix this?

5) Yes, you can and should do your domain observation sheets over a period of time.  If you can identify one piece of evidence for each, I'll be happy.  If you do two, I'll be ecstatic!!!  :)

6) How hard would it be to fulfill all of the middle school aspects at the same time?

As always your input and questions are more than encouraged!!

Have a great week.

Diann

FYI - Now that you've had a chance to participate, I've gone back to the earlier blogs and given you my opinions on some of the issues - if you care.,


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Will we have a chance to work in class on our micro-teaching project with our group?
Jocelyn Ardell

Anonymous said...

I felt that class on Friday was very useful, especially when we got the opportunity to talk about our different field eperiences. It was interesting to find out how different our experiences actually were.
I have a one question...
Are we going to discuss how to incorporate "middle school" into our philosophy? I'm not sure how to go about doing that..

Erika Buchholz

Anonymous said...

1. No, you probably will not have any time to work on micro-teaching projects in class. There's just no time.

2. We'll talk more about philosophy this week. The best way to incorporate 'middle school' is to include middle school aspects that you intend to apply.

Hope this helps.
Diann

Anonymous said...

class friday was good. I liked hearing about the other schools, just like erika said.
My attempt to answer the "What can we do to make students want to learn? Some don't like learning and they don't like school. How can we fix this?"
Everything we teach can be related to something in life. there are always connections between school and life, it is up to us, teachers, to find that connection and relay it to our students.
math: gormetry and triangles; relate it to basketball. the hoop,student, and point on floor (always make a triangle) then try to identify the type.
I have one more question about our pathwise observations; do you want us to have the actual evidence, or do you just want us to write what evidence they have. Like for planning, do you want us to write down what we see in their lesson plans, or do you want a picture of them?
~Crystal Williams

Anonymous said...

To answer your question, Crystal - you need to write down the evidence you see. For instance, to do A2 - just write down one or two of the objectives you see in the plans. Hope that's clear. If not, ask again.

Diann

Anonymous said...

Read the blog. Thank you.

Lynesha Richardson